What Does Mac Mean?
and then there's the real meaning: Macintosh!
- Mandatory Access Control for security people
- Message Authentication Code for other security people
- Media Access Control for networking people
- Move Add Change for desktop support people
- Modify Access Create for forensics people
- Machine Aided Cognition for AI people
- Multiplexed Analog Components for HDTV people
- Multiply-Accumulate unit for hardware people
- Money Access Center for financial networks people
- Part of Mac and Cheese for nerds of all ages!
Money Access Center, an interbank network operating ATMs and POS terminals, is especially bad, considering the multiple meanings of ATM and POS. Does ATM mean Asynchronous Transfer Mode or Automated Teller Machine? How many different combinations of MAC, ATM, and POS are there? :-)
FYI, here are some meanings for POS:
- Point of sale, the location where a business transaction occurs, as in POS terminal (cash register)
- Packet over SONET/SDH, a communications protocol for transferring packets over fiber networks
- Proceedings of Science, an electronic publishing service for proceedings of scientific conferences
- Product of Sums
- P/OS, the Professional Operating System sold by DEC for their PRO-300, PRO-350, and PRO-380 PDP-11
- PERQ Operating System
- Part of speech, the role that a word or phrase plays in a sentence
- Probability of success
- Programmable option select, a predecessor to plug-and-play
- Plasma opening switch, a type of electric switch based on plasma